IELTS Academic or General Training

Only IELTS offers you tests suited to your study, work or migration needs.

Which test is best for me - IELTS Academic or General Training?

Take the IELTS Academic test designed for people planning to study in higher education or those seeking professional registration. It assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training in an environment where English is the language used. It reflects some of the features of academic language and measures whether you are ready to begin studying or training.

If you’re planning to move to an English speaking country and are seeking professional registration, you will probably be asked to provide evidence of your English language ability. IELTS results are accepted by many professional associations that have set minimum language requirements. Most of these associations request an IELTS Academic result, but it is a good idea to check with the organisation to confirm.

IELTS General Training measures English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context that is why it is appropriate for people planning to study in high school or a vocational training program.

People migrating to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK must take the IELTS General Training to prove their practical, everyday English language skills.

Important: Before booking your test, remember to check with the organisations you are applying to which test you need.